About Me

My photo
Minneapolis, MN
Small town raised. Loves the Big City. Loves my husband and my canine kids. Love all things vintage.

Friday, June 15, 2012

You Put the Lime in the Coconut....

Let's talk about coconut oil.  I love it.  Love.  Love.  Love.  What started my love affair?

I came across this website on Pinterest:

http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2012/01/52-uses-for-coconut-oil-the-simple-the-strange-and-the-downright-odd/ and http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2012/05/122-uses-for-coconut-oil-even-more-of-the-simple-the-strange-and-the-downright-odd/

After reading that I picked this up at Trader Joe's:


Out of all those uses I've only used it for a few things - I put it in my hair at night, I put it on my skin and I put it on my knee after I skinned it up after an unfortunate incident with a curb and heels.  Hehe.  So my experience so far - my hair is super shiny and getting healthier.  My skin has been clearer than ever - if I start getting a zit I put some oil on it and it goes away super fast.  I've even put the oil on my arms, legs, etc as if it were lotion.  I only put it in my hair (wet or dry) and on my skin before bed as it can be a little greasy.   I noticed after putting it on my wound that it healed really fast.  I still have a scar but I'm sure that's going to take time to clear up.   It has a pretty faint smell.  Although right after I put it on Lucas says I smell like a macaroon or a pastry haha.  The scent tends to fade after its been on a bit though.  

Coconut oil is solid at room temperature (as seen above).  Its been nice now that its hot - it keeps it always a little soft and even soupy if its really hot which helps when applying it.  

I haven't cooked with coconut oil yet - probably because the jar is in the bathroom.  :)  I'll have to get another for the kitchen.  

I threw out all my creams and potions that cost lots of money (and contain lots of chemicals).  Coconut oil is $6 for a good sized jar at Trader Joe's and its natural and organic.  Sounds like a winner to me!  Have you guys used coconut oil?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment