About Me

My photo
Minneapolis, MN
Small town raised. Loves the Big City. Loves my husband and my canine kids. Love all things vintage.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Vampires and Documentaries

I watched some movies this weekend - first, the fun one - "Dark Shadows" - very Tim Burton.  Very fun. Love the soundtrack.


Now the other two - I saw these on instant Netflix.  I've been wanting to see them for awhile now and we just signed up for instant again so I'm on a documentary kick.  So we watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" (http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/)  and "Forks over Knives" (http://www.forksoverknives.com/).  I've always figured that we, as Americans - particularly Americans living in 2012 - are killing ourselves with our foods but after watching these movies - holy hell.  I'm not here to preach to anyone about what to eat - just like I don't give a shit if you smoke - you know you're doing wrong by smoking so you don't need me telling you about it.  But do yourself a favor - watch these films as well as "Food, Inc."  It will open your eyes.  Lucas and I are going to try juicing (watch "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead") not to lose weight but to just feel better - I'm not doing it for 60 days though (watch the movie - you'll know what I'm talking about).   And I'm going to really, really, really make an effort to eat less meat, less dairy and less processed food.  

I really fear what the US will be like in say 20-30 years when our teens who have been raised on crap food even more so than my generation are middle aged - will their life expectancy drop?  Doubt it - we have too damn many drugs out there keeping people alive (remember when there use to be survival of the fittest?).  A great deal of our diseases (high cholesterol, diabetes, heart disease, even some cancers) can truly be eliminated or reversed simply by your food intake.   I dread what healthcare costs are going to be by then.....  oy. 

Anyway - let me know if you watch these documentaries!  They are definitely worth the time.  Enjoy the beautiful weather this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment